The Kluže fort

This majestic fort above the Koritnica gorge is one of the most visited cultural sights in the Soča valley. It is an important monument to the defence against Turkish invasions, Napoleon's army and attacks during World War One.

Today the fort serves as a historically important object housing permanent exhibitions and a cultural centre that hosts the Kluže festival, a festival of ambient theatre arts.

Experiences in the Kluže fort:

  • expert guided tour of the fort with a local guide;
  • Društvo 1313 performance about the daily lives of soldiers on the Isonzo Front;
  • walk the Walk of Peace and see Fort Hermann.

History of the Kluže fort:

  • in the 15th century, the Kluže fort was a wooden fortification that prevented Turkish invaders from raiding Carinthia;
  • in the 17th century, Bovec governor Georg Philipp von Gera commissions a stone fort and provides a water supply;
  • in the 18th century, the fort is defended from General Napoleon Bonaparte's army by a unit of Austrian soldiers; they remove the bridge over the Koritnica gorge, in which most of the French attackers meet their end;
  • in the 19th century, they rebuild the fort as it still stands today;
  • in the 20th century, the fort plays a crucial role in defence during the Isonzo Front.

 The Kluže fort opening hours

MONTH OPENING HOURS
July, August Daily, 9.00–20.00
June, September Sunday to Friday, 10.00–17.00;
Saturdays, 10.00– 20.00
May, October Saturdays and Sundays, 10.00– 17.00
other Open for larger groups by agreement


Admission prices
adults: EUR 3
secondary school and university students, pensioners: EUR 2
groups of over 20 adults: EUR 2
groups of over 20 secondary school or university students or pensioners: EUR 1.5

* There is a 50% discount on admission to the permanent exhibition for audience members of Društvo 1313 performances.

More information and guided tours
The Kluže fort
P: +386 (0)5 388 67 58
E: www.kluze.net ; trdnjavakluze@gmail.com

Access to the Kluže fort
The Kluže fort is situated 4 km out of Bovec in the direction of the Predel mountain pass.

 

Fort Hermann

Fort Hermann This Carinthian fort on the slopes of Rombon served as a back-up for the Kluže fort, protecting access to Tarvisio and the interior of Austria.

Fort Hermann (also known as the Upper Kluže fort, the Hermann fortification) was built between 1897 and 1900 by Austro-Hungarians.

During World War One it sustained severe damage under heavy shelling from the Italian side.

Today there are information panels around the remains.

Access to Fort Hermann:
On the Bovec-Log pod Mangartom road, park at the Kluže fort, some 4 km out of Bovec.
Continue on foot along the wide footpath carved into the rocky slope above the Koritnica. After walking through a rocky tunnel more than 100 m in length, take a left and follow the trail that climbs up towards Rombon. There is less than half a hour's walk to the fort.

Please note: The fort ruins and the trail are not secured. Visit at your own risk. It is recommended that you bring a flashlight.

Map

Areas